Easy Tips to Hang Pictures Above a Couch
Size it up
- To create balance, your artwork (or grouping) should be at least 2/3 the length of the sofa.
- Don’t have a large piece? Use two or more pieces in a group to create the size you need.
- Pictures should not be wider than the couch or the artwork will overwhelm the furniture instead of enhancing it.
How high, how low?
- As a general rule, the bottom of your frame should hang 8” to 10” above the back of the sofa. There are exceptions when you’re hanging a grouping of frames and in this case, you may have to play with the measurements a bit.
- If you hang your artwork too high it will look like it’s floating away from the couch instead of being connected to it. Keep your wall arrangements low enough to enjoy when you’re sitting.
- Have someone hold your artwork in position while you step back and have a look to ensure the height is perfect.
Spacing between pieces
- When hanging a grouping of pictures, leave 2” to 5” between each frame for proper spacing. Use low adhesive tape to keep spacing consistent between frames.
- Hanging frames too far apart will look disjointed, like you are trying to fill the wall instead of connecting each piece of art.
Don’t miss any of the great tips that we post on our blog every day! Sign up here and we’ll send new blog posts straight to your inbox.
Co-Founder of Under The Roof Decorating